"Behind every young child who believes in himself is a parent who believed first."
-Matthew L. Jacobson
Tips for Reading with beginning readers:
- Encourage your child to point to each word with his/her finger.
- Read a sentence and have your child repeat it.
- Take turns reading a sentence.
- Talk about the story as you read. "What do you think will happen next?," "How do you think he feels?"
- Don't be afraid to read the same books again. Rereading helps build fluency.
Talk about the books you read! This is a great way to make sure your child understands what is being read.
A Strategy for helping your child memorize their address:
Ways to practice letter sounds at home: